10/17/2011

from Marion Barton

Dear David, Ramesh and all of Ali's family and friends, It was good to meet you on Friday, though such sad circumstances to all be together. Thank you for what was a very moving tribute to Ali's life. Below is one of my favourite memories of Ali which I read at his funeral, plus a picture from that time. With best wishes, Marion Barton Wimbledon Light Opera Society
WLOS had its 80th Anniversary ball last year and we had all been planning our outfits. I was soon to discover however that no-one had planned more carefully than Ali (I should have known!). He had decided he wanted to be completely colour co-ordinated and he came to the ball all in blue - Blue suit, blue shirt, bowtie, waistcoat etc etc... It was only after a few minutes of chatting to him at the bar that I realised that he had taken the ultimate step... Ali had even bought tinted contact lenses so his eyes were blue too! For me this story represents something that I realise was true about Ali throughout the time that I knew him. Ali always went that extra mile, and his dedication to whatever he was involved with shone through during our time performing together. I will miss having such a loyal friend and I know that my time with WLOS was better for knowing him. Pictured - Emma Pearson, Garry Mannion, Naomi Fieldus, and Ali with his blue eyes!