10/05/2011

from Mo Rogers

I am a relatively new member of WLOS, and I wanted to express my condolences, on Ali's passing.

I was lucky enough to meet him during show week for "Singin' In The Rain" in May this year, when Ali stepped in at the last minute to help out backstage, and found him to be such a kind, thoughtful & caring person. It was my first show for over 20 years (since my school days) and I was incredibly nervous, but he completely put me at ease & was a supportive face in the wings all the way through it. I was also fortunate to spend a few hours speaking to him at the after-show party, and was looking forward to getting to know him better during HMS Pinafore.

My husband & I often go walking on Wimbledon Common, and a few weeks after SITR, we bumped into him, blissfully taking photos on a glorious summer's day. Being been more of walker than an ornithologist or arborealist, I was amazed at all the things he was able to point out to us, that I'd never even noticed. I guess it was then I realised how observant & engaged Ali was with his surroundings, as well as with people - as I'd seen during SITR.

I was so pleased to see that he'd rejoined HMSP, and his loss as I'm sure you know, is very keenly felt.

It was a real privilege to have met him, to have known him even for such a short while, and my thoughts are with you all.

Best wishes,

Mo Rogers