10/02/2011

from Nick Simpson

I’m so sorry to hear of the tragic loss of Ali. He was such a lovely man and everyone at WLOS will miss him terribly, he was much loved.

I joined WLOS in September last year, just 6 weeks before Dad’s Army having never acted or performed since school, I was as nervous as anything & not too sure what I was doing there and Ali was one of the first to make me feel welcome. 2 weeks later, I was fortunate enough to be given a lead part (I played Private Walker, the spiv character) but having just 4 weeks before opening I needed a great deal of help which everyone, but Ali especially, always provided. He could tell I was very unsure of myself so he took me under his wing and would always give me confidence boosts and kept telling me I was doing well & I’ve always been very grateful.

Deepest sympathies

Nick